The Port of Sale Heritage Cruises offers a leisurely 1.5hr cruise from the Port of Sale to the historic Swing Bridge and return. Wonderful commentary is provided by the very passionate Alan Lewis and includes the history of the Port of Sale and Sale Canal, Swing Bridge, indigenous culture (including scarred trees) and lots of wildlife spotting (birds and often koalas, sometimes platypus).
The Rubeena built in 1911.
Port of Sale.
The Rubeena was built in 1911 and first launched in 1912 in Lakes Entrance making it the oldest boat on the Victorian boating register. Love and care have kept the Rubeena in fine shape and made her the oldest boat in continuous use in Australia.
To put the Rubeena’s age into context think about this; the Titanic’s maiden voyage was 1912!
This piece of history is a comfortable ride but note there is no toilet onboard and limited disabled access.
Plenty of birds to spot.
Reflections on calm water.
Operating Times and Cost
At the time of publication the times and cost are:
Daily Departure 10.00am and 2.00pm
Children under 15: $15
Family (2 adults, 3 children): $80
Includes light refreshments and non-alcoholic drinks. Check current times and cost on the Port of Sale Heritage Cruises website or call 0400 933 112.
You will see the Historic Swing Bridge opening if you take the 2.00pm cruise on Saturday or Sunday
The Port of Sale Heritage Cruises leave from the Port of Sale behind the Gippsland Art Gallery. The Rubeena is easy to find and is well signposted.
Extend your visit
Combine your cruise with:
- Visit the Sale Water Tower open from 2.00pm – 4.00pm every Saturday.
- View the Historic Sale Swing Bridge (if you take the cruise on a Saturday or Sunday at 2.00pm you will see the Swing Bridge being opened and go under the open bridge).
- Visit the Port of Sale for fishing, skate park, playground and picnic areas.
- Admire the art at the Gippsland Art Gallery.
- Explore Lake Guthridge which as excellent walking tracks and playgrounds.
- Enjoy the Sale Common Nature Conservation Reserve with kilometres of tracks and boardwalks to admire the RAMSAR listed wetlands.
- Go for swim at Aqua Energy leisure centre with indoor and outdoor pools.
Looking for more activities in Sale? Head to the Central Gippsland tourist website.